Saturday, October 21, 2017

Bouchercon 2017: A Report from Loonie Land

My 10th Bouchercon included a few firsts and superlatives:

1) The first panel on which I sat as a panelist rather than a moderator.

2) My first Bouchercon outside the United States.

3) The most cold medicine I'd ever taken at a Bouchercon and, as a consequence ...

Zoe Sharp reads at the pre-con Noir at the Bar.
Photos by Peter Rozovsky.
4) The least gin I'd ever drunk at a Bouchercon. (I made up for this by drinking  more wine and eating more oatmeal.)

Jacques Filippi
5) This was the first Bouchercon to which I'd arrived by car (from Montreal to Toronto in the company of Jacques Filippi and Karen Salvalaggio, the latter of whom learned much about maple doughnuts, while all three of us practiced swearing in Yiddish, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, and Quebecois French). It was in no way Jacques' fault that a normally five-and-half-hour trip took eight. The soothing presence of Karin, Jacques, and Tim Hortons eased any angst that the endless highway construction might otherwise have caused.

Karin Salvalaggio
6) It was the first Bouchercon for whose story anthology I served as a judge.

7) My first panels, as either panelist or moderator, with David Poulsen, Alex Gray, Margaret Cannon, Thomas Enger, Leonardo Wild, and Timothy Williams.

The Toronto street where I lived when not
dining with Karin, Jacques, and Martin
Edwards
Eryk Pruitt
8) My first experience of Sarah Weinman as a moderator. Sarah chaired the "History of the Genre" panel in which I took part, alongside Poulsen, Gray, Cannon, and Martin Edwards. Moderating: one more thing Sarah does well.

Noir at the Bar
Jen Conley, Jay Stringer
Karen Sullivan, Zoe Sharp
S.G. Wong, Thomas Enger
David Morrell, Ann Cleeves,
Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
William Deverell, Craig Sisterson
Jennifer Soosar
Christopher Brookmyre,
Colin Cotterill
John McFetridge
Lou Berney
Eric Beetner
Kay Kendall, Ryan Aldred
Jamie Mason
Three guys from Montreal:
Kevin Burton Smith,
Jacques Filippi, me
Emelie Schepp
Craig Robertson
© Peter Rozovsky 2017

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Art Taylor said...

Great photos!!!

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Don’t forget the entertaining text.

Thanks!

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Zoë Sharp said...

Great round-up, Peter. And why am I not surprised that moderating is one more thing that Sarah Weinmann does well?

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Art Taylor said...

Of course! That’s a given. :)

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks, Zoe. It was good shooting you, and I may do so again next week.

No surprise that Sarah should have done the job she did. I moderate panels, and I could appreciate the way Sarah tweaked the subject matter, developed and delivered her questions, and such. It was a fine performance.

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I don’t know about that. I haven’t been posting as often as I once did, and it was good to see that’s my chops had not atrophied.

October 22, 2017  
Blogger Gerald So said...

Always good to see you, Peter. Thanks for introducing me to Rick Oilerman.

October 23, 2017  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

October 23, 2017  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Same here, and you’re welcome. It was nice to see that he knew you as the 5-2 guy.

October 23, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home