Thursday, March 07, 2013

DBB in Nordic Noir book

Nordic Noir: The Pocket Essential Guide to Scandinavian Crime Fiction, Film & TV has lots of Swedes and Norwegians, roving gangs of Danes and Icelanders. a smattering of Finns, and a Faroe Islander or two.

It also has me, holding forth on Stieg Larssonism on Page 38 and Harri Nykänen's Raid and the Blackest Sheep on Pages 107 and 108, and I admit it was fun to see my name in the index.

The book's author, Barry Forshaw, is probably best known for his biography of Stieg Larsson, but he writes all over the crime fiction, film, and television map. He's the man behind British Crime Writing: An Encyclopedia, Italian Cinema: Arthouse to Exploitation, and British Crime Film, for instance, and I was chuffed when he asked me to take part in this project.

Nordic Noir: The Pocket Essential Guide is out now in the U.K. in paperback and e-book formats, with a U.S. edition to follow in September. As always, Forshaw packs lots of information into a compact space (I have just verified that the book does indeed fit in a pants pocket.) He brings a light, conversational touch to a subject not always celebrated for such qualities, and I'd call the book a good choice if you want to know what the Scandinavian fuss is about and who the up-and-comers are.
© Peter Rozovsky 2013

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Kristopher said...

Hi Peter,

You might want to check out my recap of the Nordic Crime panel that was part of the Nordic Cool festival at The Kennedy Center in DC. It was quite informative and entertaining.

http://bolobooks.com/2013/03/nordic-cool-at-the-kennedy-center/#more-768

March 07, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks.

March 07, 2013  
Blogger Simona Carini said...

Congratulations, Peter! I am reading a Nordic Noir novel right now, the first of the Wallander novels.

March 08, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks. Wallander (along with Janwillem van de Wetering) gave me my start with international crime fiction.

March 08, 2013  
Blogger Simona Carini said...

I must admit I got to Wallander via the movies (the version with Kenneth Branagh). But I really liked the book too: I could not put it down.

March 10, 2013  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I have heard many good things about Branagh's performances as Wallander. And, on an unrelated note, I may have some questions about Umbria for you in the coming months.

March 11, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home