Thursday, April 23, 2009

An Irish crime writer on Irish crime writing, plus your chance to vote

Crime Always Pays links to an article in the Guardian about Brian McGilloway's top 10 modern Irish crime novels. It's nice to see what writers read. It's a sign of Irish crime fiction's vitality that comments on CAP suggest worthy candidates that could have made McGilloway's list but did not.

Click here for McGilloway-related material from Detectives Beyond Borders.

=================
In an unrelated development, a team of international election observers including former U.S. President Jimmy Carter will not monitor voting for the Spinetingler Awards, where Detectives Beyond Borders is up for the Special Services to the Industry award. Vote now while you still can.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger adrian mckinty said...

Just voted Chicago style if you know what I mean. JC might not be pleased but if its any consolation I had a Snickers bar earlier, packed with peanuts in every bite.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

There's a job waiting for you in my administration, young man.

Many thanks.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

BTW, a couple of weeks ago I happened to read JC's very strange children's book. The text and illustrations were quite disturbing in a way I cant really put my finger on.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

That creature on the cover looks like some sort of microscopic creature. And the mental picture of a former leader of the free world pronouncing the words "Baby Snoogle" is disquieting.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger adrian mckinty said...

It's about a woman who earns her living washing the clothes of "wealthy folks" aided by her handicapped son. One day the boy and his "friends" are on the beach when they are attacked by a sea monster. The friends leave the boy to deal with the monster alone. I know there's some kind of allegory about the Carter Administration in there but I dont know what that is either. And yeah the illustrations by Amy are weird and unwholesome. Amy dedicates the book to her cats if I recall correctly.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Disquieting ... unwholesome. I need to read some good crime fiction to cleanse my mind of this stuff.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger Loren Eaton said...

My vote is a [word-you-cannot-say-on-network-television] valuable thing, you know.

After beholding Snoogle-Fleejer, I am forceably restrainting myself from going Oedipal on my eyes.

April 24, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

The thought of that grizzled presence using baby-talk is enough to make me lose my lunch. I say revoke the mofo's Nobel Peace Prize.

And thank you for your support at the polls.

April 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home