Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"CSI meets the Canterbury Tales"

Always carry a camera. Had I had mine with me today, I'd have taken a picture of the Toronto subway placard that bore the tag line I borrowed for this post's title. The placard was an ad for Grave Goods, third novel in Ariana Franklin's series of medieval mysteries that began with Mistress of the Art of Death.

Based on my reading of the first book, the tag line is appropriate. Franklin's Adelia Aguilar is a doctor from Salerno summoned to England, where medicine is less advanced and women certainly do not practice it, to investigate a series of murders. Her scientific approach does indeed make her something like a twelfth-century forensic investigator. But the main thing is that I saw a big ad for crime fiction on a subway car in a major city. How cool is that?

Speaking of Toronto, if you're within traveling distance of the city's waterfront tonight, Tuesday, come to Noir at the Bar, T.O. Style with Sean Chercover, Howard Shrier and John McFetridge. See you there.

© Peter Rozovsky 2009

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Uriah Robinson said...

I think there are ads for Jo Nesbo's novels on the London Underground. Not that I have been down there myself for many years it is too frightening for a country boy. Grave Goods has got to be on my "to be read" list.

March 10, 2009  
Blogger John McFetridge said...

Peter, I just wanted to remind you, Noir at the Bar is tonight, Tuesday, not Wednesday.

See you there.

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

John: Thanks. I am easily confused, apparently. I was writing on Monday night a post that was to appear Tuesday. That threw my whole calendar off. The mistake has been fixed. And I will be there tonight, and not tomorrow.

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Sean Chercover said...

I am always confused. But I will be there tonight.

Looking forward to it!

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Odds are that once the confusion lifts, we'll find ourselves in the same place at the same time.

I look forward to that. A bientot!

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Uriah, I think the only things to be scared of on the London Underground these days are the massive piles of discarded free newspapers. You should be all right as long as you mind the gap.

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Monica Carter said...

This is so cool. Ads for books in general is a good thing.

March 10, 2009  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It sure is cool. That ad was a welcome break from the run of ads for personal-injury lawyers that I see on subways every day.

I will bring my camera with me today and hope that I encounter the ad again.

March 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home