Sunday, June 08, 2008

Outdoor crime

The events department at Detectives Beyond Borders Central Command sent this one across my desk this week. It's all about a notorious series of crimes beyond my borders, and any event taking place "under the trees" is worth checking out. So why not check it out?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008
12:30 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.
Word for Word
Author Series:

Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi, The Monster of Florence

Crime novelist Douglas Preston’s chilling account of a legendary serial killer, known as the “Monster of Florence,” who continues to haunt the Italian police, courts, people, and himself even after 40 years. Mario Spezi is an Italian journalist who has been investigating the Monster of Florence case since the first murders in 1974. Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi will be interviewed by Sarah Weinman, author of the blog Confessions of an Idiosyncratic Mind, followed by a Q & A and book signing.

Note: This will be the only venue in America here Mario Spezi will also be signing books.

Check out a video about the book at: http://www.bookvideos.tv/videoid/1153

The event is FREE and open to the public. For updates and additional information, please visit the Web site at www.bryantpark.org

The Bryant Park Reading Room located on the 42nd Street side of the park — under the trees — between the back of the NYPL & 6th Avenue. Look for the burgundy and white umbrellas. Rain Venue: Library of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen 20 West 44th Street (between 5th & 6th Avenue). New York City.

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't suppose this is the same serial killer that appeared in a sub-plot in the third Hannibal Lecter book, is it?

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

It could well be him. I had read the Monster of Florence may have inspired Thomas Harris to create Hannibal Lecter, and I have just read that Harris attended his trial and took notes.

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Linkmeister said...

Ah, spring and summer. When classes and readings can plausibly be held outdoors (U of Arizona's spring semesters were noted for the smell of fertilizer and the reduced amount of clothing on campus).

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I remember a class or two meeting in the shelter of branches rustling in the breeze. Naturally this proved distracting because of its pleasant novelty, but a class held outdoors regularly just might get students in a wonderfully receptive state of mind.

One hopes the fertilizer was artificial. But then, a state whose biggest city boomed thanks to the air conditioner might well owe its vegetation to chemicals.

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

A grove, after all, was good enough for Plato, and the Buddha did not attain enlightenment in a seminar room.

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Siddhartha said...

I have just tagged you. Please don't be mad. I am sure you get tagged all the time. But I thought you could give us a glimpse of a fantastic book, as you regularly do.

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

This is just the second time I've been tagged with this one. It's painless as memes go, since most of us have a book readily at hand. Besides, the first time went well. I liked the page 123 sentences and the book that contained them so much that I wound doing a stimulating interview with the author, or at least I found it so.

And now I shall shut up and open the book. I may have to think for a few days to come up with five people who have not been tagged with this already, though. It's been bouncing around the globe for a while now.

June 08, 2008  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I like a good potboiler now and again and will check out some of your selections. Congrats on your award.

June 09, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

Thanks for the kind words, though I like to think that if my reading boils pots, the pots in question are at least fine and copper-coated.

With respect to your name, I have composed one haiku in my life, in the traditional 5-7-5 form. I like to think it had a nice, boozy ambiance to it, and I might even make it public one of these days.

June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home