Wednesday, May 21, 2008

North of the border

The helpful Gerard Brennan of Crime Scene NI offers a generous reply to my request for a shopping list of crime fiction I might look for on a trip to Ireland. You'll find his recommendations here.

They include one novel in which "The frenetic world of rock music is combined with the tranquillity of the Irish countryside," another inspired by the unsolved murder of a pioneer in formal semantics, and a third that may interest readers who enjoy Shane Maloney's Murray Whelan novels.

There are also a violent novel with a highly evocative title and a bleak outlook on Northern Irish politics, the latest from a master of comic crime, and a book chosen to mark the tenth anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement, a sign of respect for a crime novel, it seems to me.

The recommendations were for me, but I'm sure Gerard wouldn't mind if you looked into them, too. Thanks, Gerard, and may the wind always be at your back except when I'm approaching from the opposite direction.

(Map from CAIN Web Service)

© Peter Rozovsky 2008

Technorati tags:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gerard Brennan said...

Hey, Pete

Not only would I not mind, I'd encourage it! Thanks for helping me spread the word about these excellent writers. And by the way, my blog has had over 100 visits and counting today according to Statcounter. And most of them seem to be coming from here. So thanks again.

gb

May 21, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

I'm always impressed when comedy and crime work well together because the combination seems unlikely. But that's just the moralist in me speaking, because I know I love a good Donald Westlake caper, or Ken Bruen and Jason Starr's Bust or Shane Maloney or the comic bits of Bill James ...

May 21, 2008  
Blogger Peter Rozovsky said...

You're welcome. I'm excited about the prospect of reading all these new (to me) authors, and I want to share the love. I hope everybody goes out and reads some of these books, even if they do it before I do. I suspect I'll order some of them even before my Irish trip, which means I may come looking for a new list of recommendations.

May 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home